Natural remedies are great and all, but sometimes they go terribly wrong.
Eating raw aloe vera is a new trend in China, particularly among young women who livestream themselves consuming the plant for all its health benefits. But things took a decidedly unhealthy turn for one wellness vlogger, who realized the plant she took a hearty bite of while broadcasting was not, in fact, aloe.
The 26-year-old woman was actually eating Agave americana, a plant which contains toxins that can cause burns and swelling in the throat. It does look very similar to an aloe plant, so it’s an easy enough mistake to make.
In the video, she at first comments that the plant is “so good” and then almost immediately informs viewers that it is “bitter.” The video then cuts out. Luckily, she realized quickly enough that something wasn’t right and got to the hospital in time.
Probably best not to go taking bites out of random plants, but if you really must do so, be sure to triple check that you’ve got the right one.
Read more here: http://mashable.com/